Sunday, January 09, 2005

My life and dreams in a nutshell...

I was born in the fall of 1979…
As I surpass the quarter-century marker I have learned that in the grand scheme of things, my existence is but a spec of cosmic dust in the age of the universe. Yet time is relative and although statistically I am one-third into my life, I have far from accomplished one-third of my life’s goals. Sitting atop that list is achieving a doctorate.

To describe myself in one hyphenated word, jack-of-all-trades…
It was August 1997 that I first stepped foot on the hallowed ground at Fordham University. I entered as a young soccer player with enthusiasm for the future. In my 3.5-year journey to a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, I maintained a full schedule working as a freelance web designer, a computer technician and a tutor in addition to my responsibilities as a student and soccer player. Academically, I was able to preserve a 3.5 GPA, which was enough to earn me a spot on the Atlantic 10 Academic All-Conference Team for soccer. I departed Fordham an active member of the Gaelic and Computer Science Clubs and have even been welcomed back by the CIS Department Chair, Dr. Hsu, as an adjunct professor.
Before I had a chance to officially say goodbye to Fordham I was drafted, not by Major League Soccer, but by Citigroup’s Global Finance Desk as a Software Engineer & Systems Analyst. After less than two years I was given the opportunity to attend graduate classes at Stevens Institute of Technology for a Master of Science in Information Science. I am forever changed by the experience of working part-time with students from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds. I am also fortunate to have studied under some of the most dedicated and respected professors in Information Science. As a result, I will leave Stevens as a more seasoned academic with a 3.8 GPA.
Throughout my life, I have never taken a day for granted and I have treasured every moment my brain is still able to calculate. There is nothing greater than the gift of life and I have looked to make the most of what little time we are afforded. Since there is more to this life than work and study, I am actively involved in volunteer work through Citigroup and look forward to further work in 2005. I have also maintained a love for adventure and travel and continue friendships in such far-off places as Europe and Central America.

A jumpstart into research…
To polish off my Masters and jumpstart my career in research I opted out of my last two graduate electives, which focused heavily on finance. Instead, I chose the more arduous course work of a Master’s Thesis (http://www.radicalzero.com/thesis/Thesis.pdf). Although the 6-credit paper was for a degree in Information Systems, the topic chosen, outsourcing, has allowed me to explore various themes outside the realm of technology. The end product is an evolution of the knowledge workplace incorporating a wide range of areas from economics to ethics. The experience gained in writing a Master’s Thesis was twofold. Not only was I able to examine the controversial topic of outsourcing but I was able to explore my own self-discipline as well. The accomplishment of managing countless hours of research while working for a company that never sleeps in a city that never sleeps has instilled the confidence needed to move onto a higher level of research.

I am ready for a PhD…
As we fast forward to the present, I thank you for taking the time to review my application and I am hopeful you are strongly considering me for candidacy into the PhD program at Claremont Graduate University. Some people consider twenty-five too young for a PhD. I can’t speak for any other young adult, but I know who I am and I know what I am capable of achieving. There are three main reasons why I am ready to pursue a PhD. I believe any ‘great’ thinker must be open-minded and broad-minded, which I am thanks in part to a liberal arts education and what will be five years working for the Global Finance Desk. Secondly, without desire, all the talent in the world will go to waste. This essay alone should indicate my aspiration and dedication for higher education. The last area concerns courage and the ability to challenge the status quo. I have always made it a point to stand up for what I believe, both in and out of the classroom and in and out of the workplace. For these reasons, along with an eclectic love of physical and social science, I am confident that I am ready for a higher level of education.

Why a PhD in Information Science?
Before I get into why the PhD program at Claremont is right for me, let me discuss the evolution of my interests and how they align Information Science field. I have been in and around technology my entire life. From my first Commodore to my latest Pentium, being up to speed on the latest technologies has brought me closer to science. With close to eight years in information technology, I have been fortunate enough to become fluent in a variety of programming languages. However, over the past 4 years I have shifted focus from building systems to analyzing them and as a result have developed greater interest in the ways in which systems interact with surrounding environments.
The Internet ‘boom’ and ‘bust’ has brought into the spotlight just how ubiquitous technology is. It is utilized in every aspect of life and often maintains a dual nature. On the one hand, technology can bring tremendous convenience such as GPS navigation and online banking, but without careful monitoring of the methods by which it is used, technology can also be used to subvert human rights, aid immoral behavior and harm the environment. Looking to leverage my Master’s degree in Information Science, I look forward to exploring the vast interconnections and interactions between technology and society.

Why Claremont is right for me…
E-harmony.com uses 500 questions to determine the compatibility of a couple; I have chosen 3 to determine the right doctoral program.
Location, Location, Location: First and foremost is location. Being comfortable in your surroundings is paramount to learning and I can’t imagine a more dynamic setting than California to augment my energy and creativity. With the vast Pacific Ocean to the west, the majestic mountains to the east and an international flavor to the south, California truly is where my heart lies. Although at this time I am not a resident of California, I maintain a love of California since my youth and look to establish residence in the upcoming year. I can only encourage you to not let my New York residency sway your decision.
Program Flexibility & Diversity: While discussing the possibilities of further graduate study with my graduate advisor, Professor Christine Bullen, I was encouraged to pursue the PhD program at Stevens. After mentioning the fact that I was also looking for a change of scenery, in particular Southern California, she introduced me to the Information Science program at Claremont. After thoroughly researching the program, I agree with Claremont’s interdisciplinary approach to Information Systems. Since IS is only as important as the benefits it can provide, it is important to understand and incorporate the various disciplines it affects including management, business and society in general.
Strong Faculty: The last piece to the puzzle is a strong faculty. Although much of my research this year was independent I am greatly appreciative of Professor Bullen’s guidance throughout the process while still maintaining focus in her own areas of research. It is encouraging to know that faculty at Claremont are all actively involved in research and many are recognized for contributions made in their respective fields. The program also advocates strong teacher-student relationships, which I believe is beneficial not only to the student or advisor, but to the department and field of study as well.

The only thing constant is change…
I never liked the question, “Where do I see myself in ten years?” Although it will go by in the blink of an eye, it still seems light-years away. Nevertheless, it is important to set goals and my ultimate goal, after achieving a PhD, is to become a Professor. I feel I have tremendous capacity for creativity and feel somewhat stagnant working for a large corporation. If I can incorporate my enthusiasm and love of education into the dynamics of a classroom, I feel I can instill a sense of inspiration and innovation in each of my prospective students.

I would like to thank you for your time and hope that my qualifications and ambitions exceed the minimum requirements for candidacy and look forward to working along side Claremont's distinguished faculty and student body.


a blog entry by Brian Thoms

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home